The overall goal in establishing “Green Cleaning” procedures is to protect the health and safety of a building’s occupants and workers, while at the same time applying resources effectively and efficiently in order to reduce or eliminate environmental impact from chemicals and equipment used to maintain the campus facilities.
Caltech currently uses cleaning products certified by Green Seal and Environmental Choice.
- Maintain clean and safe campus facilities.
- Protect the health and safety of building occupants and maintenance workers.
- Reduce environmental impact by reducing or eliminating use of environmentally harmful cleaning products.
- Reduce cost by applying resources effectively and efficiently.
- Increase the satisfaction level of building occupants and maintenance workers.
Factors Considered in Developing Green Cleaning Standards
- Best practices to clean and maintain sustainable buildings
- Use of sustainable cleaning products (Meet GS-37 standards)
- Use of chemical concentrates and controlled dilution systems
- Use of equipment that reduces environmental impact
- Training and certification of custodial personnel in Green Cleaning procedures
Roles and Responsibilities
- Benchmark and measure procedures to determine best practices and attainment of goal objectives
- Develop training procedures to prepare custodial staff for certification
- Develop cleaning schedules and approaches to task-oriented procedures
- Ensure custodial staff understands the goals and objectives of the Green Cleaning procedures
- Attend training and take quizzes on all training modules
- Obtain certification
- Follow established cleaning schedules and procedures
- Report any violation of cleaning standards and procedures
Campus Cleaning Strategies
- Ensure effective and efficient use of cleaning products
- Maintain clean and safe campus facilities
- Maintain equipment in order to minimize its impact on indoor air quality
- Revise schedules and procedures as complexity of buildings changes
- Minimize waste by using certified products that reduce disposal or recycling costs
- Use the Just-In-Time practices for ordering supplies